12.20.2008

Summation of an excerpt from a good conversation had with a friend

I know that we are intended in some manner to share in the sufferings of Christ. And by that I mean that, in order to deny oneself and replace oneself with Christ, one must undergo some sort of violence, wether it be physical or not. However I don't always know where that line ends and where that begins.

I know that often our role as followers of Christ is to turn the other cheek. For instance, when slaves become submissive to their unjust masters. But sometimes we are also called to flip a table or two in the face of something that may be doing us and often others wrong. But I don''t always know what is the appropriate reaction to every circumstance.

There are times when I can remember having stood on the side of the road hitch-hiking for hours and hours without any sort of foresight into my provision for that day, however my trust in G-d's ability to provide (in the form of both physical care and use of an unjust situation) made it possible for me to endure living in an unjust world ruled by fear to such an extent that I wast left helpless, on the side of the road, by many passers by who were more than able to help. Yet there are times when I am placed in a situation when I have the ability to say something to another person about the injustice being done, that I do not know when it is my place to raise my voice against the injustice, or when it is the time to take a stand by turning the other cheek.

Does the difference come when the injustice you face effects others, versus merely oneself, or are there times when one is to be submissive when faced with an unjust action, not only unjust to oneself?